Plague column

The main artistic landmark of the square is the plague column topped with the statue of the Virgin Mary and eight saints, the patron saints of the town and protectors against plague. In the upper row there are statues of St. Wenceslas, St. Vitus, St. John Evangelist, St. Judas Thaddeus, and in the lower row St. Francis Xavier, St. Sebastian, St. Gaetano and St. Rochus.

The Baroque sculpture decoration is the work of the Prague sculptor Matěj Václav Jäckel, from 1714 - 1716. Adjoining the plague column, the stone fountain reservoir was built in 1843, to replace the abolished Renaissance fountain once standing in the middle of the square.